The Book (an old one - found anew)


He reveals himself like a book to me.

-         In a single tear shining at the corner of sparsely lidded eyes
Like a cold evening’s fallen star;
On a quiet lazy afternoon
Eagerly patient for the coming downpour.

-          In loud declarations by autocratic dictators
From fake pedestals; 
Crafted on the back of daily wage workers.
-         In the baritone voice of a beloved singer -
Enticing  monsoons towards him, bygone and foregone.
Like a book, he reveals himself to me.


I found him lying on an abandoned library shelf,
Which I used to cross on my daily walks,
But never dared enter.
Surprised pleasantly to find its doors open still
On a lazy Sunday afternoon.

On the last shelf
Of rare volumes
Bound in a nondescript cover
Lay he.

Dog-eared favourite pages
Scribbles in a hurried hand
All displayed in full glory
But hidden still below the dust
Left by the burrowing bookworms.

I stole him without the world knowing,
And stuck him deep within my tattered rucksack.
Below the toothbrush and the well-worn socks
And the long-used coffee mug.

He travels the world with me now
To give me repose between
Short sips of tea
Taken at roadside stalls;
And milestones stuck on soggy earth
Its roots being slowly eaten away by the insects in the grass;
When the tiny leaflets of the grass
Are raising their heads to the sun
On lazy afternoons of mirth.

He travels the world with me now
From Timbucktoo to Timligarh;
I burn the insect ridden pages
One by one
To give me warmth on cold nights.

So shall I burn him slow.
So when I walk the last step
Into the blue ocean,
Over the last grass-field
Nothing remains of him with me
Except his warmth in my veins.

He reveals himself like a book to me
This boy I’d met
On a quiet lazy afternoon
When time stood still
And waved us by.

I stole him without the world knowing.

Yet, he stands still
On that dusty library shelf
At the corner of a favourite street
Which the wanderers frequented on lazy afternoons
Which wanderers frequent no more.

Sep 08, 2008 (just the date on the page in which it was written, no exact date, but it is in 2008 sometime).




Comments

Ants said…
yaa i remember reading this one,, nice :)

Popular Posts