Blind Date Blunders


Here it goes : the saddening list that keeps getting long.

1. My first month in Bombay, had just settled down in my hostel. agreed to meet this guy from IIT Bombay who claimed to be good at guitar (i'v got a weakness for guys who can play the guitar, not the sitar, not the mandolin, but the guitar). He must have got his first scare when I asked him to wait for me in front of the Gamdevi Police Chowki. That notorius Police Chowki where the hi-profile gundas of the posh Marine Drive region are taken for the initial grilling before being transported to Andheri. So there he was..and at the first sight i felt this incredible urge to stand him up. the only thing i remember regardin his looks was this really dark pair of sunglasses he was wearing - I hate it when a guy wears sunglasses on a date, the primary reason being that i like looking a person straight in the eye when I am talkin to him/her. Anyways, the point is, I didnt stand him up. I walked with him upto the chowpatty, he gave me a card ( no appropriate smileys available for the xpression on my mind) ... in which was scrawled somthing damn childish like "thanx for being my friend" in a really, REALLY bad piece of handwriting. I saw it, I said thanks, and we walked back to the Chowki, where I bade him a fast goodbye and I dissapeared. Pakka 10 mins. Didn't hear from him ever again, I think he might have disliked my nose.

2. Almost after two years in Bombay, which included repeated urges to give up my studies with Microbiology and run back to Calcutta to study Literature at Xavier's I met this fabulous guy on Orkut. On our first date I made him wait for one and a half hours in front of the Parsi Dairy, as I seeked a chance to sneek out of a lecture on Chromatography. Unfortunately, the H.O.D. was guarding the doors to the lecture hall. This date though did result in something meaningful, though completely unromantic - a lifelong platonic friendship based solely on love guru advices.

3.This was in my Third Year of Bachelor's as well - met a guy from Bhopal on YM. Nice, decent fella. I bored the hell out of him though by taking him to the Oxford Book Store. I read Calvin and Hobbes and he preferred Steve Waugh's autobiography. We had masala chai, sat on the marine drive seaface on a very very hot and a very very sunny afternoon and returned home after hellos. He was a nice guy, last known he had moved back to his home city. It was not until much later that I realised Bhopal was a really vibrant city in the heartland of my huge country, at that time, I just thought it was a little bigger than a village and had a huge lake in it. My mistake.

4. Moved back to Cal, struggled with Masters for two years. Love life completely dishevelled. Rather, non-existent. A guy on Orkut (again, yes, again I fall) asks me out. we plan a date. we decide to watch a movie. I wake up damn early on a Sunday morning (which I never do) and take a long bath (which I rarely do) and reach 45 minutes late. (yes, hate me, please, hate me!). When we reach the ticket queue we see this huge group of school students who have come to watch the same movie. 2012. (why did schools change their policy for movie outings on weekdays, i mean, sunday is the only day we used to get completely for ourselves, play outdoors both in the morning and in the evening - we would never come for a movie on a school trip on a SUNDAY!!!). By the time there is only two persons in the queue in front of us, the signboard has started flashing "fast filling". the guy before us takes the last two seats. the guy in the counter says there are two tkts left, one in the first row and the second in a n-th row. so we decide upon Qurbaan instead, at least we would get to watch some steamy kisses. instead our craniums get hammered for two and a half long, boring hours. we get to watch a really woody saif with a bad haircut and kareena lookin like a piece of wood - didnt know a woman could look so cold with all her clothes off, and she was supposed to seducing her hubbie dearest who also happened to be a deadly international assassin. (maar daalo mujhey!)surprisingly bad acting from om puri. Anyways, i wont speak any longer about a really bad movie, in short, karan johar and rensil d'silva jointly collaborated and successfully created the most boring movie date of my quarter century life. I BLAME THEM!

So, there, thought the list wud be longer, but if i missed any then it was probably worth missin so much that i completely forgot about it. hope that these blistering blunders don keep happenin in future, and someday soon, i get to go on a perfect date. at least this much if not more for a incorrigible bohemian like me.

cheers to all who have fabulous first dates, and double cheers to those who get too much of irony.

Comments

Sananda said…
Fabulous blunders but my favourite DDLG line: someone somewhere is waiting for me... :)
Here's to future!
shayon said…
cummon...thats the most crap line ever...no one waits for anyone...
Stinky Trash said…
Hehe ... first one was hilarious.. "a real blind date". I once thought of sharing my not so blind date stories ..then thought some people will start hating me like anything :D

May be I can try increasing this list once I go to Calcutta. :P
DipAwra said…
Just from yesterday, suddenly I grow some interest in personal blogs. So after jumping around a few blogs in the infinite mayajal called www I landed on yours.

I know, it was bad experience for you. But for me it is hilarious. My advice is keep going on blind dates. Who knows, someday you might find the right one. And if the next ones do not work out, then at least I'll get to read some more stories :)

Popular Posts